Friday, June 14, 2013

#818 Banaue Rice Terraces, Philippines

One of the most magnificent things I've ever seen is the human engineering of the Asian rice terraces. These are not unique to the Philippines and are found in Indonesia, China, Nepal, India, etc, but the first ones I ever saw we're in the mountains of Luzon. What I think is so amazing is that humans have turned an inhospitable, steep-hilled environment, and made it productive an habitable. The artistic flow and symmetry and the repetition are magnificent. Walking the narrow paths between terraces is lovely and climbing the steps watching someone carry a load of firewood, water, plants or some other product, gives new respect for your knees! Apologies that these aren't my photos... I went there in 1993 or 1994 so haven't even looked at them in at least 15 years!

Tripadvisor.com


www.8thingstodo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment