Monday, November 5, 2012

#913 Hadrian's Wall, England/Scotland

File:Hadrians Wall map.pngOne of the most interesting places I went to as a child was Hadrian's Wall between England and Scotland -- it held my imagination and helped to instill a fascination with history. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of that time with me, but I hold an image in my mind that is very similar to the Wikipedia photo below, where it is completely ruined and surrounded by placid farmland.

To think that the wall was intended to keep out 'barbarians' when no doubt the Roman's lived in a comparatively barbaric lifestyle compared to today. If I was to think of it like a politician, I suppose I would view it as being a way to regulate immigration, customs, smuggling and other border-control issues!

One day I would like to walk the full length (around 120km long).



Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrian's_Wall Both photo and map are from this source.

No comments:

Post a Comment